Let’s face it, cleaning our makeup brushes is a chore. It’s not something we get excited to do each week but as much as we might overlook cleaning our makeup brushes, it is necessary for two reasons.
Taking Care of our Skin
The number one reason we should cleanse our brushes is our skin. Our skin is can be very hard at keeping acne and oil free. The last thing we want to do is use a makeup brush that has old makeup, dirt, bacteria, oil or dead skin on it and then rub it on our face. We start our make up routine with nice clean skin and then if we don’t clean our make up brushes we are rubbing this ickyness on our face and that is defiantly not going to help keep our skin in the best shape. Using dirty brushes can cause acne or oily skin. That is the last thing anyone wants.
Taking Care of our Makeup Brushes
The other reason we would want to cleanse our makeup brushes is to extend the life of the brushes themselves. Some of the makeup brushes we buy are like an investment. We want the best quality brushes and would be disappointed if they don’t work up to expectations. The build up that is deposited each time we use them can make the bristles clump and not give us the look we are going for when we apply our makeup. Regular care can help with this making our brushes last for a long time.
Why clean our make up brushes.
1. To help keep our skin in great condition by removing:
- old makeup
- dead skin.
2 To extend the life of our makeup brushes
How often should we clean our makeup brushes.
We should be washing the brushes at least once a week. This will help keep the bacteria from growing on our brushing and then being applied to our skin.
How to clean our makeup brushes.
There are many methods for cleaning our makeup brushes from bar soap to alcohol. There is also special made products that will clean our brushes and condition them at the same time that can help even more at extending the life of the brushes and also disinfect them to protect our skin.
Methods for cleaning our foundation, blush and eye make up brushes.
1. Mild shampoo or liquid soap. Mild shampoos such as baby shampoos is one of the most popular methods for washing makeup brushes. The shampoo is gentle and is less likely to over dry the makeup brushes.
To use a mild shampoo to wash your brushes follow these steps.
1. apply a small amount of the mild shampoo in a dish.
2. wet your brush with warm water
3. dip your makeup brush into the shampoo
4. rub the brush on your palm and work up a lather.
5. rinse the makeup brush until the water runs clear.
6. allow the brush to dry by laying on a clean towel or by hanging upside down. (the less the glue gets wet the longer it will last, so don’t have the brush dry standing with the bristles up.
2.Mild bar soap. You can use a mild bar soap like Dove to cleanse your brushes.
To use a bar soap to wash your brushes follow these steps.
1. Wet your makeup brushes with warm running water
2. gently rub your brushes on the surface of the bar soap.
3. rub the brush in the palm of your hand and work up a lather.
4. Rinse under warm running water until the water runs clear.
5. Allow the brush to dry by hanging with the bristles down or on a clean towel.
Professional Makeup brush cleaning products.
While there are ways to clean our makeup brushes without buying special products , the brush cleansers available are especially made for the cleaning and conditioning our brushes. These products help to extend the life of our brushes and also get them clean so that our skin is at its best. These are very affordable options, some cleaners just as cheap as using mild shampoos and soaps. And since you only have to use a small amount, it will last you a long time. Defiantly not budget breaking.
1.BareMinerals Well-cared for Brush Conditioning Shampoo
This shampoo will deep condition your brushes while gently cleaning the bristles. .You can keep your quality brushes in tip top shape, keeping the bristle soft and in shape. Cost $10.00. Buy From Amazon
2. Japonesque Pro Brush Cleaner
The Japonesque Professional Brush Cleaner cleans, conditions and disinfects. It is a little different as you spray it directly on your brush from 4 to 8 inches away. Your then rub the brush onto a clean towel or a paper towel until it is clean. You then allow it to air dry by laying it flat on a clean towel or hanging upside down. Cost around $11.00. Buy From Amazon
3. SEPHORA COLLECTION Daily Brush Cleaner
This cleaner is available in a 2 oz and a 6.75 oz. size. It is a daily anti-bacterial cleaner that is easy to use. You simply spray on your brush or a tissue. Next rub the brush on a tissue to remove the residue. No rinsing necessary. This is a great product to use along with a deep cleaning cleanser. You can then keep your makeup brushes fresh between uses. The 2 oz can be found for $6.00. Buy From Amazon
4. The Brush Guard Cleaning Kit
This is a complete kit for keeping your brushes in their best conditioner. The Brush Guard kit comes with a 4 oz bottle of Squeaky Clean Brush Shampoo with natural anti-bacterial and conditioners, a bamboo blotting cloth, a wash station with special textured cleansing surface and a ventilated drying vase. This will get the dirt, oil, debris and bacteria out of your brushes and give you the extra tools to keep them in tip top shape. This all comes for 25.00.Buy From Amazon
5. Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner
This is available in a variety of sizes, 2oz tin, 4 oz, 8 oz, 32 oz or a combo of the 2 oz tin and the 32 oz bottle. The Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner gives us options for different budgets. It leaves a pleasant smell after cleaning and sanitizes, while air drying almost immediately. This is safe to use on natural or synthetic brushes, pallets or spatulas and will remove all bacteria. The Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner is environmentally safe and a non-carcinogenic. The 4 oz size if available for under $20.00. Buy From Amazon
New fun tool for cleaning our makeup brushes.
The Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Glove
is now available and is a great option to use along with your favorite cleaner. The glove is made for face brush on one side and eye makeup brushes on the other. The nubs on the glove help to lather up the cleanser getting your brushes thoroughly clean and also to make sure that your brushes go back to their original shape. Buy From Amazon
Here are the five easy steps to getting the best cleaning for your makeup brushes with the Sigma Brush Cleaning Glove.
1. Wash. Use a small amount of cleanser by apply to the center of the glove labeled “Wash” or by dipping your brush in a dish of the cleanser then rubbing in a swirl motion. This will deep clean your brushes.
2. Rinse. Under running water sweep the makeup brush back and forth on the section of the glove label “Rinse” this will help get the soap and residue out of the brush.
3. Refine. Swirl the brush again but now in the “Refine” section of the glove. This will deep clean your brush.
4. Rinse. Do a final rinse by follow step two again.
5. Shape. Place the bristle between the thumb and the hand of the glove label “Shape. while slightly squeezing. This will remove the excess water while reshape the brush head.
More That May Interest You